Sunday, 18 January 2009

Micro Cuts

So the latest discussion going around the ship is the "Gays openly serving in the military". When asked my opinion on the topic I say that I agree, they should be able to serve. Openly or not, they do have the rights to serve the country they believe in and love. HOWEVER...... Openly will never happen, and for good reason.

First of all, let me go ahead and get this out. We have polled a many people on the ship and the ship is split pretty much 50/50 down the middle. Of course the 50% that don't think they should serve openly all say the same thing "I don't want some Gay Dude looking at my stuff when I'm in the shower" (My answer to this of course is "So what your telling me is that it is ok for a strait man to look at your stuff") "Hells Naw dawg, man you twerkin my werds n shit" (there’s the ghetto I am talking about) Anyway I tend to take homophobia out of the equation since we all know that fear leads to nothing good. It's just a fear of the unknown and we all know how fear helped out the civil rights movement. (It didn't help, just in case you were wondering) Anyway, the little poll only showed me how many homophobic people we have on board, so it really didn't help me get any solid information.

With that said.....I will speak on from a naval perspective since that is all I know. If gays are allowed to openly serve, the entire make up of every Navy Warship will have to be rethought to include the following: Strait Male Berthing, Strait Female Berthing, Homosexual Male Berthing, Homosexual Female Berthing. However, you can't have the Gay males all berthing together since they all have the potential to become attracted to one another, (It would be the same as Males berthing with Females) Same goes for the females. So what do you do? You can't have an openly Gay male sleeping in strait male berthing because it might be heaven to him, and visa-versa. So what do you do? The answer is simple, you keep things the way they are.

The problem I have with the whole "Homosexual movement" is that they believe they have more rights than the average Joe and they throw their ways of thinking and living right in our faces. Granted they can't get married, and I agree with that for one reason only; Marriage is shared between a man and a woman. This, of course, is a paraphrase of the biblical definition, since Marriage, after all, is a religious tradition and practice; I figure it to be the only source for this word. Since the Church does not recognize Homosexual behavior as acceptable and recognizes marriage as something shared between a man and a woman only, why should centuries of religious practices be changed to accommodate their desires? What gives them the right to demand that they be changed? This is the imposing of their will on others that I am talking about. If they want to do something that goes against the Natural order of life they should make up their own names for this stuff. Be original gay people! Southpark said it best.

Governor: “I believe that I might have come up with a compromise to this whole problem that will make everyone happy! People in the gay community want the same rights as married couples, but dissenters don't want the word "marriage" corrupted. So how about we let gay people get married, but call it something else?”

Governor: “You homosexuals will have all the exact same rights as married couples, but, instead of referring to you as "married", you can be... butt buddies.”

Governor: “Instead of being "man and wife", you'll be... butt buddies. You won't be "betrothed", you'll be... [makes quote with his fingers] ...butt buddies. Get it? Instead of a "bride and groom", you'd be... [makes quote with his fingers again] ...butt buddies.”

Gay Man: We wanna be treated equally!

Governor: You *are* equal. It's just that, instead of getting engaged, you would be... butt buddies. And everyone is happy!
Woman: [from the lesbian crowd] Well, what about lesbians?
Governor: Well, like anyone cares about dykes!
[Crowd goes into an uproar]

I don't agree with homosexual practices. I think it is wrong. Grown men having to get rectal reconstructive surgey is not natural...... I don't agree with saying that it is a genetic disorder. That is like saying Alcoholics never had a choice. Alcoholism......... A disease???? For real? So before alcohol was ever brewed what was the disease called then??? "I wish I had a Beerism?"

Kinda got sidetracked, but I hate how everything is settled by naming it a disorder or a disease, when in reality they are all choices we made in life and it is always easier to blame something else when we know we are doing something wrong. I've been doing it for years. I have Nicoteenism. Why hasn't that been linked to a genetic disorder. Because, first of all, no one cares about smokers, and secondly, most smokers are realist and know why things are the way they are. We don't make excuses. I smoke because I like it and I am ADDICTED to it. Plain and simple. I picked up my first cigarette because of a girl, not because of some hidden voice in the back of my head, hidden since infancy, finally yelled at me and made me buy my first pack. There is no accountability anymore, and why should there be? There are a ton of people who are waiting to make up excuses for everyone else just so no one gets offended.

As I stated before, I don't agree with their practices, but I am not going to look down on anyone because they don't do something the way I do. If that was the case I would have no friends, because I am perfect and no one does things like I do :) I am not put on earth to judge, I am put here to live my life, raise my kids the best I can and make as many friends as I can along the way.

Homosexuality is a hot topic and I will be very interested to see how all of this plays out. Honestly I could care less what the dude next to me is doing with another guy, simply because I don't look at things like that. I want to make sure the dude next to me is focused on the mission at hand. That's all I care about. Professionalism.... It's a great Idea when it is actually utilized.

The thing I love about blogs is that they will ultimately spark some great discussion that will be shared among a few people and begin and end here. They are discussions. Nothing will come of it. The world will not be saved and they will not alter the decisions of those people who should see them. In the origin of symmetry, these discussions are nothing more than micro cuts.

No comments: